This time of year all that I want is comfort food, and lots of it. Give me easy, warm dishes and I’m happy. A recipe that I’ve recently fallen in love with and have been making quite a lot is Sausage & Tomato Risotto.
I’ve never really enjoyed risotto. It’s probably because when eating out I struggle to find a Risotto without mushrooms and I’m not a fan of mushrooms. But, when I recently discovered this Sausage & Tomato Risotto in my Weight Watchers book I decided to give it a go. It’s a total game changer.
I’ve adapted the original recipe slightly so it’s not so Weight Watchers friendly but trust me, it tastes amazing. And, if you’re on Weight Watchers then it’s an amazing recipe for only 6 smart points when you stick to the original ingredients.
Ingredients (serves 2 with larger portions):
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 diced shallots
- 125g risotto rice
- 40ml white wine
- 500ml chicken stock made with 1/2 cube
- 200g sausage meat
- 10 cherry tomatoes on the vine
- Chive seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Melt the low fat spread in a pan. Once melted, add the shallots in to the pan and fry gently for five minutes.
- Add the rice and stir for one minute.
- Add the wine and sizzle for 30-40 seconds.
- Start adding the hot stock, bit by bit, and keep stirring until it’s fully absorbed by the rice and is creamy.
- In between stirring the rice, roll the sausage meat into small balls.
- Line a roasting tray with tin foil, put the sausage balls on the tray and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn the sausage balls and add the tomatoes to the tray. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Mix the tomatoes and sausage balls in with the rice and serve!