We’ve now been home owners for just over a week and in that time, we’ve learnt a lot. A week may not seem like a long time but it has certainly felt like it!
We’ve gone from living completely rent free with my parents and having to do pretty much nothing around the house straight into having to pay bills and do everything for ourselves. It’s been a shock to the system but I am loving owning my own home and having our own space that we can do whatever we like with.
Here are five things that I’ve learnt over the past week…
- There is always something to do – Whether this be cook dinner, hang out the washing or clean the bathroom, there is always something that can be done. I never thought the day would come that I feel guilty if I’m sitting around watching Love Island whilst there’s dishes to put away!
- Things don’t happen overnight – We moved in on the Friday and I expected to have a fully decorated lounge by the following Friday. Boy, was I wrong. I hadn’t even began to think about how long things like stripping wallpaper, plastering the walls and painting take. Admittedly, we are expecting to have the lounge completed by next Friday so two weeks is still very fast but I was being completely unrealistic before.
- It’s not all fun and games – The novelty of washing up wears off, as does the novelty of doing everything for yourself. Even in the space of just over a week, we’ve both had to do some serious growing up.
- Priorities change – Going out for dinner vs. Buying a pot of paint? That’s a dilemma I never thought I’d find myself facing yet here I am… surrounded by paint pots!
- Having your own space is amazing – This is one novelty that has definitely not worn off. I love the fact that everything is our choice; what we have for dinner, how we decorate, when we wash up – everything!